Monday, August 31, 2009

Moving Toward Leopard

This is the week I'm preparing to move to Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard" as my primary operating system. The reason I've held back is my dependence on Classic Mode to run Claris Home Page. The plan is to have two G4 Power Macs side by side with Leopard on one and Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" (and Classic Mode) on the other.

The current plan is to use the Digital Audio Power Mac with the 1.6 GHz dual processor upgrade as the Leopard machine, as that's my fastest machine. It already has the Radeon 9000 card from my 1 GHz dual Mirror Drive Door, which should make it a better match for Leopard. It has 1.25 GB of RAM.

The MDD will be my Tiger machine. It has the video card from the Digital Audio, and there isn't much performance difference in Tiger. It also has 2 GB of RAM, the most I've ever had in a computer. In a pinch, I'll be able to boot this on into Mac OS 9.2.2. (With the CPU upgrade, the Digital Audio doesn't like booting OS 9 natively.)

I hope to set things up so I can seamlessly share the same mouse and keyboard with both machines. I'm looking at SynergyKM (free) and Teleport (donationware). The latter is Mac only and supports OS X 10.3 through 10.6.

No comments:

Post a Comment