Tuesday, August 18, 2009

WallStreet comes through

Back in May, a friend at church gave me his dad's old WallStreet PowerBook. It hadn't been used in years and was in beautiful condition. I got two batteries (one completely dead), a CD-ROM module, and a floppy drive module. I've since picked up a second battery on eBay for about $5 - figured it was worth a shot, and if it was dead, not much lost. I now have two batteries that each hold a nearly 3 hour charge.

I've been experimenting, trying to get newer versions of OS X installed (it only officially supports up to 10.2.8), and upgrading the RAM and hard drive. I went from a slow 6 GB hard drive to 20 GB 5400 rpm (from my dead PowerBook G4) and boosted RAM from 64 MB to 384 MB. It's no speed demon, but it works.

Anyhow, I got to use it yesterday to copy some files from an 800K floppy disk, which USB floppy drives can't read at all. It's nice to have a practical use for this 11-year-old computer!

No comments:

Post a Comment