Monday, September 28, 2009

Finally Migrating to Leopard

Monday, September 28, 2009. Mark that date on your calendars. It's the date I officially moved from Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" to 10.5 "Leopard" (I can't use 10.6 "Snow Leopard", as I don't have an Intel-based Mac yet) as my primary OS.

As I type this, I'm in the midst of the process: I've used Migration Assistant to migrate two user accounts from Tiger to Leopard. I searched for "(from old Mac)" and deleted about 6 GB of apps, folders, etc. that resulted from the merger. I'm currently running Drive Genius to find duplicate files on the Leopard boot partition. Once those are deleted, I'll be using SuperDuper! to clone this drive to my backup drive (using USB 2.0, since FireWire died on my dual 1 GHz Mirror Drive Door on Friday), moving the drive to the dual 1.6 GHz upgraded Digital Audio Power Mac G4, and then SuperDuper! to clone from the backup drive to the Leopard partition for that machine.

BTW, I've been ripping some CDs in iTunes on both machines, which have matching 16x Pioneer DVR-110D SuperDrives. They both peak at a bit over 20x. Very impressive!

I'll still be running Tiger on the MDD, as I still use Claris Home Page (from 1997!) as one of my important production tools, and Tiger supports Classic Mode whereas Leopard doesn't. Teleport is doing a great job letting move move between the two machines effortlessly while using one mouse and one keyboard. (Tip: If you're using Teleport with different versions of Mac OS X, set the one with the newer OS version as the master/host and the older OS as the slave/remote. I discovered that the clipboard didn't work in both directions when I had Tiger set as master and Leopard as slave.)

Except for that, I expect to be using Leopard for everything else from this point forward - email, browsing the Web, etc.

Because of the time involved migrating users, removing duplicates, and so forth, site updates will be somewhat delayed today.

No comments:

Post a Comment